Hi! I’m so glad to be back posting! It was a long and dreary month dealing with viruses as my family members took turns to fall ill including myself. I couldn’t bear the silence any longer. So there!
I converted my kids’ cot into an Art station. This act was a milestone as the kids could finally do art freely on their own and at their whim! It is so encouraging to see them spending time on their own initiative to make and create! Give them the opportunities and materials, they’ll do wonders! Have fun watching them grow as you dedicate a space for their creative initiatives!
I cut open a used box and lay it flat, taping the top and bottom cover flaps to provide the height and suited length for my backing. A friend liked that it looked like a ‘mood board’.
I included a shelf to maximise space storage and hung a chalk board at the side with a thick ribbon.
I cut out some sketches and abstract of my kids’ works and decorated on the front for a touch of fun and humour. It also acts as a platform for display. We included Mandarin and English labels on the drawers.
Materials that I provided include
- Letter Writing Box kit
- Recycled papers of different sizes, New drawing papers of varied sizes, square coloured papers
- A cup of 2B Pencils and erasers, a can of colour pencils
- Boxes of nitty gritty paper stars, coloured strips of papers, beads, small items that could be of interest for pasting and collage
- Stencils of different shapes and sizes including alphabets
- A basket of containers for holding water, egg cartons as palettes, varied sizes of brushes, toothbrushes, sponges and sponge rollers for painting
- A set of poster colours, markers, magnifying glasses, mirrors, coloured chalks, duster, washi tapes, masking tapes, scissors, glue, blu tacks and stamps inside the drawers.
A wall set apart for their Art works which I update whenever there are newer works.
Dedicating an Art area will encourage self motivated learning and self initiation on creative projects.
Go on, make available the materials and watch them grow!
For more of GrowingHearts, come join us at our FaceBook, Or Subscribe by entering your e-mail in the box on the top right side bar to receive notifications of new posts by email.
Have a blessed day!